-  Joseph Yoder

*Big Balls of Mud. 

* Durante a aula

Em resposta à Diogo Pina

Re: Palestras da Semana

por Diogo Pina -

Uma descrição do seminário de sexta.

=====================
Taming Big Balls of Mud with Diligence, Agile Practices, and Hard Work -- Sustainable Architecture

Summary
 l Will  examine the paradoxes that underlie problems with legacy systems often called Big Balls of Mud, what causes them, and why they are so prominent. I’ll explore what agile practices can help us avoid or cope with mud. I’ll also explain why continuous delivery and TDD with refactoring is not enough to help ensure clean architecture and why it is important to understand what is core to the architecture and the problem at hand. Understanding what changes in the system and at what rates can help you prevent becoming mired in mud. By first understanding where a system’s complexities are and where it keeps getting worse, we can then work hard (and more intelligently) at sustaining the architecture. Additionally, I’ll talk about some practices and patterns that help evolve the architecture to something better and ways to keep the architecture/code clean and from getting muddier.

Description
Big Ball of Mud (BBoM) architectures are viewed as the culmination of many design decisions that, over time, result in a system that is hodgepodge of steaming and smelly anti-patterns. It can be arguably claimed that one of the reasons for the growth and popularity of agile practices is partially due to the fact that the state of the art of software architectures was not that good. Being agile, with its focus on extensive testing and frequent integration, has shown that it can make it easier to deal with evolving architectures (possibly muddy) and keeping systems working while making significant improvements and adding functionality. Time has also shown that Agile practices are not sufficient to prevent or eliminate Mud. It is important to recognize what is core to the architecture and the problem at hand when evolving an architecture.

This talk will examine the paradoxes that underlie Big Balls of Mud, what causes them, and why they are so prominent. I’ll explore what agile practices can help us avoid or cope with mud. I’ll also explain why continuous delivery and TDD with refactoring is not enough to help ensure clean architecture and why it is important to understand what is core to the architecture and the problem at hand. Understanding what changes in the system and at what rates can help you prevent becoming mired in mud. By first understanding where a system’s complexities are and where it keeps getting worse, we can then work hard (and more intelligently) at sustaining the architecture. This can become a key value to the agile team. The results will leave attendees with practices and patterns that help clean your code (refactor) as well as keeping the code clean or from getting muddier.

Additionally, I’ll talk about some practices and patterns that help keep the code clean or from getting muddier. Some of these include: Testing, Divide & Conquer, Gentrification, Demolition, Quarantine, Refactoring, Craftsmanship and the like.. The original Big Ball of Mud paper described some best practices such as SHEARING LAYERS and SWEEPING IT UNDER THE RUG as a way to help deal with muddy architectures. Additionally there are some other practices such as PAVING OVER THE WAGON TRAIL and WIPING YOUR FEET AT THE DOOR that can help sustain your architecture and make your code more habitable.